Tuesday 8 May 2012

Week three training - Barry


Motivation

Motivation is an odd thing.  As you have read from the various other parts of this blog we have different motivations.  This week a few things happened that affected my own motivation.

Firstly, my various aches worsened after a morning refereeing under 9 rugby which put me on the couch for the afternoon (which after the morning in the rain was gratefully received).  This made me start to really doubt whether I could do this.  1,000 miles is a long way and I am aching after running around for two hours.  

Secondly, one of my colleagues donated on our virgin money site and noted that they had a child who suffered from one of the illnesses supported by Sparks.  I found this really touching.  I guess I had not appreciated how some of the people who benefit from this charity could be closer to you on a day to day basis than you think.  To have someone I know (albeit from only only a few conversations) made this task a lot more personal to me.  

Thirdly, I had a night out this week that I thoroughly enjoyed.  

From the moment we departed from the house, my sons excitement was obvious.  He had a glint in his eye and as we drove along listening to the Megamind soundtrack on the Ipod, conversation flowed about our memories from the songs and other things that had happened related to them.

We sat through a terrible football match which normally would have put me in a terrible mood but the excitement of my son at being there in the first place and pretty much having my undivided attention lifted this completely.  Although I was a bit worried at the "what are the Fulham fans singing?" question. 

On the drive home, my son continued this conversation even though he should really have been asleep.  Four hours and I smiled the whole time.    The photo beneath was taken just after I saw another dad taking a photo of his son who was visiting Anfield for the first time.  "Would you like me to take on of both of you?". A Small act of kindness to another human being but the smile on both of their faces in the picture was as if I had just given them a huge gift.  This was a memory they would both keep and share.  So Dylan and I posed for the same thing.  

And this was my third realisation that hopefully my small act in completing the ride will help others have similar photos to treasure.  Of an event with their child that will live in both of their memories just for the fact they were both there.  

Other football teams allegedly exist too


Week three classes

For me the highlight of this weeks exercise classes came when Vincent Company headed Manchester City in front at the Etihad stadium.  How? I hear you ask...well the joys of Steve Jobs' brainchild Ipad and Sky's mobile application meant that whilst Richard and I watched the match whilst undergoing our final endurance ride.  That was the only one I attended due to work and weekend commitments plus the ongoing issue with the high impact of Bootcamp.

Richard did however attend a circuit training session as well which brought a new type of pain...but was a good change.  He then did exercise suicide by following this up with a strength spin ride such that he was really in agony on the Thursday morning, but no pain no gain.   I prefer the no pain, no pain route personally but have to say this does look fun and want to have a go next week.

back to school anyone?


Quotes of the week
"tell them to shut up, I'm recording it!!"
"the refusal at the vaulting horse was my favourite bit"

Week three ride


Richard and I were unable to do a ride this weekend due to a rugby tour that took us to Conwy.  Whilst, we were not on our bikes, we did experience the deep chill muscle therapy as used by the Wales rugby team.  The science behind this being far beyond me but it has to be said that the cold wind on the North Wales coast and the complete lack of heat insulation provided by a polyester tent did make my aches reduce slightly.  Bizarre.

Richard undertaking cutting edge muscle therapy

However, Lee and Mike undertook rides on Saturday that at first glance look very similar and at a second glance began to undertake a degree of competition.  Reading this exchange on Facebook made me wonder what would have happened if they had a means of communication and could have gone together and what this may have done to their average speeds. 
  • Lee Gould
Not entirely OCD this morning - no Prestatyn, but was drawn to Bwlthgwyn again and a drink stop in that same farm gateway! Carried on to the Horseshoe pass and a frothy coffee at the Ponderosa :)
Decided that the best way down was on the bike - Barri
  • Barri Rawlings (Ed: on behalf of Mike who has a Phobia of keyboards)
Nice one. Well Mike and I set off at 10am and took the back roads (Erddig) to Llangollen and up to the Ponderosa - sweet! The last stretch of the hill climb was suprisingly quick! We also had a drink in the Poderosa but nothing frothy. Just a straight forward cup of tea and snikers X 2. Feeling quite pleased with our efforts and remaining high energy levels we decided to head towards Corwen and back into Llangollen for a light English breakfast (yummy). We then took the road to Wrexham via Johnstown and then Bersham where Mike and I parted company to shower and smell nice again. Feel pleased with ourselves, however, my bum is really sore! Note to self - buy a new saddle! Oh yes, no acrobatics today, i am pleased to say. We totalled 50 miles and averaged 15 miles per hour. I think we'll take that one as a good ride considering the hill climbs and head wind. Bring on next week.See more
  • Lee Gould 
My 45 miles at 14mph are the ramblings of an amateur by comparison!
In true team spirit though it is good to see that the flying adventures of Mr Rawlings will live long in the memory.  Sadly it may be some time till Mr Rawlings joins us as both of his bikes were stolen on Saturday night.  If anyone in Wrexham comes across, a Grey Boardman Road Bike or Black Carrera mountain bike that appear to be a very good offer please let us know so we can forward details.

horseshoe pass the hard way

Mike and Barri took the horseshoe pass head on this time and then enjoyed a relatively  slower descent over the last 50k on their loop from Wrexham.  Maybe they will comment beneath on any good pointers from this route although it is interesting to note that this route did avoid Rawlings Bridge as it will now be known.
There is also no word from Lee on whether the farm he stops at has now increased sign-age, guard dogs or video surveillance to help track the arrival of the same man on frequent occasions.  Photos to follow.

Seven weeks to go now.  Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment